45°
Clear
TUE
 64°
 42°
WED
 68°
 46°
THU
 66°
 47°
FRI
 61°
 39°
SAT
 63°
 42°

Eureka man says priest molested several children at a time

  • St. Bernard Catholic Church. (www.saintbernards.org)

The 36-year-old Eureka man suing the Roman Catholic Diocese of Santa Rosa said Friday he was one of several young children in the early 1980's who were systematically molested by a priest, sometimes in groups.

He accused the former Rev. Patrick J. McCabe, now 74, of pulling two to three children at a time from his third-grade class at St. Bernard Parish in Eureka and walking them to the room attached to the church, where he would fondle them.

He called the darkened room “an all-you-can-eat buffet for a monster.”

The man, listed as John Doe in his lawsuit against the diocese, spoke on condition of anonymity in an interview. “He would basically have his way with the kids,” he said, speaking in a telephone interview arranged by his lawyer, Joseph George of Sacramento.

“It was terrible. I grew up thinking, ‘That's the way it is.' It really screwed me up.”

His comments came a day after the lawsuit was filed in Sonoma County Superior Court accusing the diocese of fraud and negligence for hiring the priest despite allegations of prior misconduct with children.

The man said he broke his 26-year silence about McCabe after reading a newspaper article that said McCabe had been arrested on charges he molested six boys in his native Ireland from 1973 to 1981. McCabe, who was removed as a priest in 1988, was being held without bail this week at Santa Rita Jail in Alameda County pending an extradition process in federal court that would send him back to Ireland.

McCabe was transferred from his home country to a special pedophile treatment facility in New Mexico in 1983 before being assigned by the diocese to Eureka.

“I think his history was known by select people,” the alleged victim said. “Absolutely it was. Apparently, the people who sent him knew.”

Bishop Daniel Walsh, the head of the diocese since 2000, declined to comment on the lawsuit or answer questions on the allegations Thursday. Attempts Friday to reach Walsh were rebuffed by his administrative assistant, Pam Hawkins, who said that Friday is the bishop's day off and he would not comment.

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View