Parrot dies in Petaluma duplex fire
Published: Saturday, December 1, 2012 at 3:00 a.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 9:37 a.m.
Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze in the 2000 block of Caulfield Lane about 2:20 p.m.
By that time, flames had spread in the unit's kitchen but all the occupants had escaped, said Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Holden.
It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the flames, Holden said. Holes in the roof were cut to release smoke that had built up in the fire.
A guinea pig and two gold fish inside the residence survived. The parrot died of smoke inhalation, Holden reported.
The cause of the fire appeared to be an unattended pot on the stove, Holden said.
In addition to structural damage, about $30,000 in belongings were lost in the fire.
The family has been relocated to a hotel and their animals have been taken in by relatives, Holden said.
— Brett Wilkison
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
You'll find a number of new technology features available from this site. With personalized news sent straight to your mobile device.
post your stuff
Petaluma360.com is here for you to post your comments, photos, news and events with the community. Post it now!
Have something to say? Join the conversation!
Upload your photos of community events, holidays, pets, cute kids, breaking news and more, and vote for your favorites!
Submit your area events to encourage others in your community to attend.