Report: Top state parks officials kept $20 million hidden
Published: Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, January 4, 2013 at 1:45 p.m.
SACRAMENTO — Officials at the highest level of the California Department of Parks and Recreation helped keep millions of dollars secret for more than a decade, the state attorney general's office said in a report released Friday.
The report said the "intentional non-disclosure" continued because employees feared the department's budget would be cut if lawmakers found out, and that they would be embarrassed about the years of covering it up.
"Throughout this period of intentional non-disclosure, some parks employees consistently requested, without success, that their superiors address the issue," Deputy Attorney General Thomas M. Patton wrote in the report.
Parks Director Ruth Coleman, who had been director since 2002, resigned and a senior parks official was fired last summer after $54 million was found hidden in two special funds even as up to 70 parks faced closure. The report said the actual amount of money intentionally hidden was $20 million.
No employees were found to have stolen or wrongly spent any of the money.
Coleman has denied knowing about the hidden money. She was the only current or former employee who would not agree to be interviewed by the attorney general's office, the report said.
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.
You'll find a number of new technology features available from this site. With personalized news sent straight to your mobile device.
post your stuff
Petaluma360.com is here for you to post your comments, photos, news and events with the community. Post it now!
Have something to say? Join the conversation!
Upload your photos of community events, holidays, pets, cute kids, breaking news and more, and vote for your favorites!
Submit your area events to encourage others in your community to attend.