SACRAMENTO — Officials at the highest levels of the California Department of Parks and Recreation helped keep millions of dollars secret for more than a decade, the California attorney general's office said in a report released Friday.
The report said the "intentional non-disclosure" continued because employees feared the department's budget would be cut if lawmakers found out, and that they would be embarrassed about the years of covering it up.
"Throughout this period of intentional non-disclosure, some parks employees consistently requested, without success, that their superiors address the issue," Deputy Attorney General Thomas M. Patton wrote in the report.
Parks Director Ruth Coleman, who had been director since 2002, resigned and a senior parks official was fired last summer after $54 million was found hidden in two special funds as up to 70 parks were threatened with closure because of budget cuts.
The report said the actual amount intentionally hidden in the State Parks and Recreation Fund was $20 million, and the remaining $34 million discrepancy was due to differences in the timing of the fund reports to the state finance department and the controller's office. The amount of money kept hidden had grown as high as $29 million in 2003, the report said.
The parks fund generates about $100 million each year through visitor fees and rentals. The fund has become a more vital source for the department as lawmakers reduce general support in the face of budget deficits.
The state will review the findings and decide whether to forward materials to law enforcement for a possible criminal case, said Richard Stapler, spokesman for the California Natural Resources Agency, which oversees the parks department.
No employees were found to have stolen or wrongly spent any of the money, the report said, but senior officials made deliberate decisions not to report the additional funds to the state Department of Finance, which helps the governor establish the state's annual spending plan.