Release granted for Sonoma County three-strikes inmate
Published: Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:36 p.m.
Last Modified: Friday, February 1, 2013 at 8:36 p.m.
Jeffrey Michael Porter on Friday became the first Sonoma County man to win a release from state prison under the voter-approved revision of the state's three-strikes sentencing law.
Judge Allan Hardcastle ordered Porter, 49, to be set free after serving 14 years in Soledad State Prison for auto theft.
Under Proposition 36, passed in November, so-called third-strikers like Porter are eligible for release if their most recent crime was neither serious nor violent.
Porter's lawyer, interim Public Defender Kathleen Pozzi, said he had been a “model prisoner” and prosecutor Scott Jamar told the judge there was nothing in Porter's prison record to indicate that he could be a danger to the community.
Porter, who has two bad hips and gets around in a wheelchair, will live initially in religious-based transitional housing, Pozzi said.
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.