A top-ranking prosecutor with the Sonoma County District Attorney's Office said in court Thursday that her office still contemplated seeking a 10-year prison sentence in a child molestation case despite agreeing to a plea bargain that would permit probation.
Assistant District Attorney Christine Cook said the resulting distress for the 14-year-old victim and her family stemmed from a “misunderstanding” in communication over potential outcomes of the negotiated plea, which resulted in the defendant's release from jail and the possibility he would escape prison altogether.
There was no shortage of regret over the disarray that now exists in the case, which had been scheduled for sentencing Thursday but was, instead, put on hold until the court could determine if the negotiated plea deal should, or even could, be set aside as the victim requests.
In the meantime, Chief Deputy Public Defender Kristine Burk said she planned to try to bring the state Attorney General's Office in on the case. She said the District Attorney's Office should be recused from the case, given that members of the staff would now be witnesses in the matter involving the disputed plea bargain and had, in effect, joined with the victim to “wiggle out of a contract they got into.”
Even as he stood by the June 25 agreement that allowed defendant Arnold M. Luz to leave jail with the promise of probation, Superior Court Judge Gary Medvigy repeatedly expressed unhappiness with whatever omissions left the young victim feeling betrayed.
“This miscommunication should never have occurred with the victim,” Medvigy said. “This should never have happened.”
The judge also rued the resulting uncertainty for Luz, 46, who, in what Medvigy termed an extremely “novel” case, pleaded guilty to serious criminal offenses without ever having laid a hand on his victim.
“This is a roller coaster for him, too,” Burk said of her client, noting that, even with her legal training, recent developments have thrust her into “uncharted territory.”