Santa Rosa City Schools officials are urging students to stay in school Tuesday despite a planned march to protest the shooting death of eighth-grader Andy Lopez last week by a Sonoma County sheriff's deputy.
Citing students' safety, officials issued automated phone calls, sent emails and distributed fliers Monday to the 16,000 families in Sonoma County's largest school district informing them the march is not a school sanctioned event and that students who attend do so at their own risk.
“We are communicating the same message to everyone that the safest place to be is on campus,” said Santa Rosa School Board member Donna Jeye. “I think students do need a place to vent, to express their anger, their fear and frustration, but this walk tomorrow may not be the right venue for them.”
Jeye joined fellow board member Jenni Klose, as well as Oscar Chavez, assistant director of Human Services at the county; Santa Rosa City Councilwoman Julie Combs; Supervisor Efren Carrillo and others at the home of Supervisor Shirlee Zane Sunday night to address the issue of student safety at today's event, as well as community engagement in light of continued marches and protests after Lopez was killed walking near his home while carrying a BB gun designed to resemble an AK-47 assault rifle.
“Nobody is saying the Latino community doesn't have the right to be angry. Nobody is saying the youth don't have a right to be angry,” Zane said. “I think we have some legitimate concerns about their safety and well being.”
Zane cited language in a flier that was distributed at a viewing service held Sunday for Lopez and also at the site on Moorland Avenue in southwest Santa Rosa where Lopez was killed last Tuesday.
“It's terrifying,” she said of the flier. “They are using 'murder' all over this. They are giving inaccurate information. It's inflammatory language to get people riled up.”