72°
Sunny
SUN
 77°
 46°
MON
 66°
 47°
TUE
 64°
 41°
WED
 68°
 46°
THU
 70°
 47°

49ers' Aldon Smith turns himself in

  • In this Aug. 25, 2013, file photo, San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith stands on the sideline during an NFL preseason football game against the Minnesota Vikings in San Francisco. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez, File)

SAN FRANCISCO — All-Pro 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith turned himself in to Santa Clara County authorities this week, then immediately posted $75,000 bail.

Santa Clara County district attorney's spokesman Sean Webby confirmed Thursday that Smith had surrendered and posted bail late Tuesday, an expected move after he was charged Oct. 9 with three felony counts of illegal possession of an assault weapon, stemming from a party at his home in June 2012.

49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said on his weekly radio show with 95.7 The Game that Smith met with 49ers officials Wednesday at team headquarters. General manager Trent Baalke said last week in London that Smith would have to show "progress" to play again this year.

Smith will be due in court twice — Nov. 12 and Nov. 19 — to face DUI and weapons charges.

The 24-year-old Smith is on an indefinite leave of absence from the NFC champion Niners. He entered a treatment facility for substance abuse in September, but it was unclear whether Smith returned to rehab after surrendering. Smith's agent didn't immediately return requests for comment.

Harbaugh has traded text messages with Smith, and said on the radio "he's made quite a bit of progress." If that's the case, Smith could rejoin the team as soon as Monday following the bye week and be ready to play for the 49ers (6-2) for a Nov. 10 home game against the Carolina Panthers.

While Smith is likely to face a suspension from the NFL, the league typically waits until all legal issues are resolved before handing down its own discipline.

Also in September, Smith and former teammate Delanie Walker were named in a lawsuit filed in Santa Clara County Superior Court by a Northern California man who said he was shot at a party at Smith's house on June 29, 2012.

The players charged a $10 admission and $5 per drink, the lawsuit said. Smith and now-Titans tight end Walker, 29, were allegedly intoxicated on Smith's balcony when they fired gunshots in the air while trying to end the party, the lawsuit said.

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View