We've yet to see the full impact of former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden's unauthorized downloading of highly classified intelligence documents.
Among the roughly 1.7 million documents he walked away with — the vast majority of which have not been made public — are highly sensitive, specific intelligence reports, as well as current and historic requirements the White House has given the agency to guide its collection activities, according to a senior government official with knowledge of the situation.
The latter category involves about 2,000 unique taskings that can run to 20 pages each and give reasons for selective targeting to NSA collectors and analysts. These orders alone may run 31,500 pages.
If disclosed, that information would reveal vulnerabilities within U. S. intelligence gathering at the strategic level, the official said.
The Snowden documents that have been made public primarily involved the capabilities of NSA collection techniques and analytic systems, as well as partnerships with other governments and private parties. As damaging as those disclosures have been to operations, publication of past and current intelligence reports and requirements would be just as harmful, if not more so, to policymaking, the official said.
The first indications of Snowden's haul being larger than previously thought came from Richard Ledgett, the NSA official leading the investigating task force, from interviews he gave last week that were published Dec. 13 by Reuters and aired Sunday on CBS's “60 Minutes.” Ledgett, whom Reuters described as a 36-year intelligence veteran who may be the NSA's next deputy director, told the news agency that the leaked tasking documents “make me nervous because they reveal what we know and what we don't know, and they are almost a road map for adversaries.”
On “60 Minutes” he said the “road map” would show “what we know, what we don't know, and give them — implicitly — a way to protect their information from the U.S. intelligence community's view.”