North Bay producers land Good Food Awards: The 2014 Good Food Award winners have been announced, with several North Bay producers given the nod for taste and responsible production.
Here are some of the Wine Country winners:
- Bear Republic Brewing Co. of Healdsburg won in the Beer category for its Cafe Racer 15, a seasonal ale that's a double IPA.
- Bellwether Farms of Petaluma won in the cheese category for two cheeses: Whole Milk Ricotta and Carmody, a buttery, cow's milk cheese.
- Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. of Point Reyes Station won in the cheese category for Toma, a buttery cow's milk cheese.
- Flying Goat Coffee of Healdsburg won in the coffee category for its Ethiopia Wote Konga.
- Tallgrass Ranch of Sonoma Valley won in the oils catgory for its Tallgrass Ranch Estate Blend extra virgin olive oil.
- Wine Forest Wild Foods of Napa won in the pickles category for its Pickled Sea Beans.
This year's 130 winning food ad drink producers were selected from 1,450 entries from all 50 states in a blind tasting held in September.
For a complete list of winners, go to goodfoodawards.org.
Crab feed season still in full swing: It's time to dive into a few crab feeds this winter while the delicate Dungeness are still being caught offshore in the eelgrass beds. Here are a few to consider:
The 25th annual Great Sonoma Crab and Wine Fest, to benefit the Sonoma County Farm Bureau, will be held at 5 p.m. Saturday in the Sonoma County Fairgrounds' Grace Pavilion. $75 includes wines, hors d'oeuvres, fresh crab with all the accompaniments and a live auction. 544-3575 or sonomafb.org.
Sbragia Family Vineyards will hold a family-style feast of fresh crab with chardonnay and live music at 6 p.m. Saturday at the winery, 9990 Dry Creek Road, Geyserville. $90. To reserve: firstname.lastname@example.org.