53°
Foggy
SUN
 66°
 52°
MON
 66°
 45°
TUE
 67°
 44°
WED
 60°
 46°
THU
 61°
 41°

Supervisor Efren Carrillo's trial date pushed back to April


  • 1/17/2014: B1: Efren Carrillo: 5th District supervisor could face up to six months in jail if he is convicted.
    12/14/2013:B1: Efren Carrillo

    11/21/2013:A1: Efren Carrillo: West county supervisor did not attend first of three sessions set by his critics

    PC: Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo talks with supporters following his hearing in Sonoma County Superior Court in Santa Rosa on Friday, October 11, 2013. (Christopher Chung/ The Press Democrat)

Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo's trial on misdemeanor peeking charges was pushed back by more than a month Friday after the two sides were unable to meet with the judge to discuss a settlement.

Judge Andria Richey agreed to postpone a scheduled March 7 trial to April 18 because her crowded court docket prevented an in-chambers discussion. She had been expected to indicate a maximum sentence if Carrillo admitted the allegations before trial.

Now, Carrillo's lawyer and the prosecutor will return Thursday to attempt a closed-door discussion with another judge, Arnold Rosenfield, who will take over for Richey.

Rosenfield could sentence Carrillo to anything from probation to six months in jail upon conviction.

"We haven't been able to talk to the judge yet," prosecutor Cody Hunt said outside court. "We're bumping up against that."

A partially clad Carrillo, 32, was arrested in the wee hours of July 13 after a Santa Rosa woman called police to report someone outside her bedroom window. In a second 911 call she said someone identifying himself as her neighbor knocked on her door and ran away.

Police arrived to find Carrillo dressed in just his socks and underwear and carrying a cellphone. He was arrested when he couldn't provide a clear explanation for his behavior.

Officers said they believed Carrillo was attempting a sexual assault. Three months later, prosecutors filed a single misdemeanor charge, saying it was all that was supported by evidence.

A felony conviction would have led to removal from office.

Interim police Chief Hank Schreeder declined a renewed request Friday to release the 911 tapes, citing the ongoing prosecution. He would not say if he'd release the tapes once the case is resolved.


comments powered by Disqus
© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View