Batteries charging on a garage workbench sparked a fire Thursday afternoon at a north Santa Rosa home, said a Central Fire official Friday.

The fire was caught early, aided by a Cassandra Way neighbor who spotted smoke and called for help, getting firefighters to the scene before flames had spread.

Firefighters were dispatched at 3:22 p.m. to the residential neighborhood near Faught Road and the Wikiup community.

Rincon Valley, Windsor and Santa Rosa firefighters were dispatched. An engine from the Rincon Valley station in nearby Larkfield arrived first, at 3:27 p.m., according to dispatch records.

Firefighters found the workbench burning and smoke in the garage.

A car in the garage was removed before it was damaged and there was no damage to the adjoining house, said Cyndi Foreman, fire prevention officer for Central Fire.

An investigation determined the accidental fire was most likely caused by a battery or a circuit overheating, Foreman said.