Ukiah firefighters rescued five dogs from a burning house Monday morning.

Flames were coming out the front door and window of the Apple Avenue home when firefighters arrived at about 9:17 a.m., Ukiah Fire Capt. Jeff Adair said.

Two women — a mother and daughter — already had escaped the house, he said. The daughter had suffered smoke inhalation and went to Ukiah Valley Medical Center for treatment, he said.

The mother was screaming about her "babies" being inside, Adair said. "We questioned her further and determined her babies were dogs," he said.

The small dogs were rescued, and fire damage to the home was limited to the combined kitchen and living room area, Adair said. Other rooms suffered heat and smoke damage, he said.

The fire was caused by bags of pet food and storage boxes that were left on and in front of a heater, Adair said.

The damage to the home was estimated at about $45,000.