A three-car accident closed Petaluma Hill Road between Laurel Drive and East Cotati Avenue for about an hour Saturday afternoon, according to the CHP and emergency dispatch.
Jamie Watanabe of Windsor had to be extricated from a silver Honda Civic that sustained significant front-end damage. Watanabe, who the CHP said was about 20, was taken by ambulance with leg and wrist injuries to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital.
The accident occurred about 2:18 p.m. Saturday when a 2003 Honda Pilot, driven by Karyn Carillo, 66, of Petaluma, was going south on Petaluma Hill Road and veered to avoid stopped traffic, partially entering the northbound lane, where she clipped Watanabe's Civic, causing both cars to spin out, the CHP said.
Carillo's ankle was broken in the crash, the CHP said. She was taken to Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Santa Rosa.
A third car, a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, driven by Emily Martin, 31, of Sacramento was heading south directly behind Watanabe and served to avoid the crash, hitting a large landscaping rock in the front of the Sweet Lane Wholesale Nursery. Martin did not require immediate medical attention but said her car had to be towed.
Emergency responders had to remove the Civic's front wheel and front and rear doors to get Watanabe out. The CHP said alcohol and drugs did not appear to be a contributing factor to the accident.
As people are allowed back into their homes in Sonoma, Napa and Mendocino counties, there are several safety issues to remember.
•Do not touch debris. Ash is a hazardous waste. Other hazards could include asbestos, heavy metals, byproducts of plastic combustion and other chemicals. Do not transport ash or debris to landfills or transfer stations. To be eligible for state-funded debris cleanup by CalRecycle, residents cannot move or spread debris. Any action by residents to remove debris may force CalRecycle to declare a site ineligible for the program.
•Wear protective clothing: closed-toed shoes, long pants, eye protection, a face mask and gloves.
•Do not rely on dust masks for protection. Paper masks found at hardware stores are designed to trap large particles like sawdust and will not protect your lungs from the smaller particles found in wildfire smoke. If you want to wear a mask, look for one with a particulate respirator, labeled NIOSH-approved, marked N95 or P100. Look for them on Amazon, Home Depot or other hardware retailers.
•Keep indoor air as clean as possible. Keep windows and doors closed.
•Avoid activities that increase indoor pollution like smoking, burning candles or using fireplaces. Vacuuming stirs up particles inside your house, contributing to indoor pollution.
•Do not turn PG&E service on. Either PG&E has been there and turned the gas on or homeowners must wait for them to do so. Customers without gas service should stay as close to home as possible so service can be restored when a PG&E representative arrives. If no one is at home, the representative will leave a notice with a number that customers can call to schedule a return visit. PG&E can be reached at 800-743-5000.
•If you see downed power lines near your home, treat them as if they are “live” or energized and extremely dangerous. Keep yourself and others away from them. Call 911, then notify PG&E at 800-743-5002.