56°
Cloudy
SUN
 92°
 53°
MON
 84°
 57°
TUE
 83°
 54°
WED
 86°
 58°
THU
 87°
 56°

Couch fire in Coddingtown area apartment sends 2 to hospital

A couch fire in an apartment near Coddingtown Mall on Friday sent a man and woman to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns.

The Santa Rose Fire Department responded shortly before noon to the fire in a second-floor apartment at 2001 Range Ave.

The fire started on an overstuffed couch and produced sooty black smoke, but did not spread further, according to Battalion Chief Mark Basque.

A man and woman in the apartment "both inhaled quite a bit of smoke," he said, and the man had second-degree burns on his feet. The names of victims, who were both in their early to mid 20s, were not released.

Basque said the cause had not yet been pinpointed, but "we did ascertain the folks are smokers."

They were treated by paramedics and taken to Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital for evaluation and treatment.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View