49ers notebook: Frank Gore shakes it off, Ray McDonald not so sure

  • Anthony Dixon of San Francisco celebrates his touchdown with Daniel Kilgore during the second quarter against the Texan's of Houston Sunday Oct. 6, 2013 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. The Niners won the game 34-3. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat) 2013

Two key 49ers went to the sideline with injuries Sunday night, but their fates were quite different.

Halfback Frank Gore hurt his ankle trying unsuccessfully to score from the Houston 2 midway the second quarter, and limped to the sideline. Gore sat out the rest of that quarter, and it was Kendall Hunter who got the carries on the 49ers' first drive of the second half. But Gore returned after that, and looked strong.

"He walked it off," coach Jim Harbaugh said. "He looked like he got rolled on, on the goal line."

San Francisco 49ers vs. Houston Texans


Ray McDonald's injury could be more serious. The defensive end hurt his biceps sacking Matt Schaub in the third quarter, and did not return. McDonald is scheduled to get an MRI today, but admitted he was concerned about the injury.

"It just felt weird," he said. "Anytime you get an injury — I didn't want to take any chances and go back out there and mess it up anymore."

McDonald said the arm "stung a little bit" when he separated from an offensive lineman to get the sack.

<b>RUN, BIG MAN, RUN</b>

San Francisco's third and final interception was a sight to behold, with 301-pound defensive lineman Tony Jerod-Eddie dropping back into short coverage and snagging a pass intended for tight end Garrett Graham at the end of the third quarter. Jerod-Eddie, who was filling in for McDonald, even managed to run for 6 yards.

"I had a rush-drop read off of whatever block the offensive line gave," he explained. "It gave me a drop read, I dropped and the ball was right there."

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View