55°
Partly cloudy
SAT
 69°
 40°
SUN
 67°
 38°
MON
 69°
 41°
TUE
 71°
 37°
WED
 69°
 40°

Railroad Square developer walks away from disputed senior housing project

  • 5/12/2007:E1: Condo construction that incorporates the walls of the century-old cannery in the city's historic Railroad Square has been delayed.

    PC: Condominium construction that incorporates the walls of the century-old cannery in the city's historic Railroad Square has been delayed because of disputes between the developer and the agency seeking to create a transit hub and build a mixed use project next door. Shot on Friday May 11, 2007. ( Press Democrat / Charlie Gesell )

The San Francisco developer who once planned a sweeping transit-oriented retail and housing complex in Railroad Square has abandoned a scaled-back version of the project, citing political opposition by the City Council.

John Stewart, the managing partner of Santa Rosa Canners, LLC, sent a letter Wednesday to Mayor Scott Bartley explaining his decision to cease all work on the project.

"Financing and construction of this project is difficult enough as it is, let alone without broad-based, top-down support from the city," Stewart wrote.

The City Council voted 4-3 last week not to support Stewart's latest plan to build 93 units of affordable housing for seniors on his 2.1-acre property on Third Street.

The majority of council members questioned the appropriateness of the site for low-income seniors and didn't feel the benefits to the city justified the public subsidies.

Supporters thought the project could jump-start development in the area, and called it unwise to turn away $10 million of redevelopment and grant funding that would have funded key infrastructure upgrades in the area.

Early plans for the 11-acre site called for a 40,000-square-foot food-and wine center similar to the Ferry Building in San Francisco, 40,000 square feet of office space, 279 units of market rate and affordable housing, a 263-space parking garage and several restaurants.

Stewart noted that the 2008 plan "encountered the worst market collapse since the Great Depression" followed by the demise of the state's 425 redevelopment agencies.

While he acknowledged the chance of another vote on the issue next week, something Councilwoman Julie Combs said she was considering, Stewart said that with both the mayor and vice mayor against the project, "it appears to us and our advisers that the city's body politic is and will remain deeply divided."

Stewart said Vice Mayor Erin Carlstrom's characterization of the proposed project as a "bailout" was a "particularly offensive but instructive harbinger" of the project's fate.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  + |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View