Two weeks after the shooting of 13-year-old Andy Lopez convulsed the city with grief and confusion, Santa Rosa City Councilwoman Julie Combs plans to publicly ask for clarification Tuesday about what she and her colleagues can and cannot say about the tragedy.
The first-term councilwoman says she has felt "muzzled" by the "directives" to say nothing about the Oct. 22 incident just outside city limits, where a sheriff's deputy shot Lopez as the boy walked through a southwest Santa Rosa neighborhood carrying an airsoft BB gun that closely resembled an AK-47 assault rifle.
Both the city manager and city attorney sent messages to council members in the days after the shooting advising them to say nothing about the shooting to avoid jeopardizing an investigation by the Santa Rosa Police Department.
Combs went forward with newspaper and radio interviews anyway, speaking generally about the community's response to the shooting but not discussing details of the case. She has no information about the investigation beyond what had been reported in the media, and therefore can't understand how she could jeopardize any investigation.
"When I was elected to City Council, I never expected that I would lose my right to free speech during times of crisis or tragedy," Combs said.
She now wants what she said amounts to a "gag order" over the council lifted.
"The current direction to me and to other council members is wrong and should be immediately rescinded," Combs said.
But Mayor Scott Bartley said he believes the advice given to council members was appropriate and was meant to prevent them from making inappropriate statements that might harm the investigation.
Council members are free to discuss their feelings about the incident and the community's reaction to it, and have done so, Bartley said.
"I don't understand how she feels constrained because she can always speak about how she feels as an individual," Bartley said.