First it lost its top five stories. Now Santa Rosa's Museum on the Square project has lost its museum.
The Sonoma County Museum announced Tuesday it was backing out of the long-delayed effort to renovate the former AT&T building downtown.
Instead, the museum's board of directors has decided to expand its art and education programs into a neighboring building it already owns.
"We wanted it to happen, and it hasn't happened for us," said museum Executive Director Diane Evans of the plan to open gallery space on the ground floor of what is now a vacant windowless eyesore. "But I think we're going to get something wonderful and it's real and it's happening now."
Since 2001 the museum has owned the Seventh Street building that for years housed the Conklin Brothers flooring company, just east of its longtime home in the former city post office.
Frustrated by the AT&T project's delays, museum officials last year kept their options open by not renewing the Conklin Brothers lease. The flooring company moved to its new home on Todd Road this month.
The museum toyed with several ideas for the space as it waited to see how the downtown project would pan out. Initially, the plan was to use the neighboring building as storage space, then possibly interim gallery space and/or media space.
But then the gleaming the Museum on the Square project lost some of its luster.
Desperate to preserve his anchor tenant and improve his chances of getting financed and built this year, Hugh Futrell, developer of the project, lopped the five stories of apartments off the top of the building.
That cut the size of the ambitious 10-story mixed-use tower in half, leaving a museum and restaurant on the ground floor and four stories of office space above. Mayor Scott Bartley called the revision a "Hail Mary" attempt to save the project.
A week after the City Council signed off on the changes, the museum's board of directors decided to head in a different direction.
Evans said it was "a big decision to move away" from the project that the museum had spent two years working to make a reality. But with the Conklin Brothers building no longer generating rent and no guarantee the revised project would succeed, the museum decided to go forward with a project it could control, she said.
"We just decided, we're paying for the building. We can't wait any more," Evans said.
If all goes well, some interim gallery and educational programming space could open by the end of the year, she said. The space might not have the same prime downtown location as the AT&T building, but it will be right next to the existing museum, have 53 percent more space, and offer good access, Evans said.
The loss of its signature tenant isn't a major blow to the project because the museum wasn't going to be paying rent, Futrell said. That space was being donated to the museum as a way to demonstrate the public benefit necessary to help the project win federal new market tax credits, he said.
But the scaled-back project is no longer seeking that complex financing tool, he said.
The successful financing of the project rests on the signed leases with two existing office tenants, not on the museum's involvement, Futrell said.
Press Democrat Poll
What type of warning did you receive about last October’s fires? (Multiple responses allowed)
Official alert on my landline: 5 percent
Official alert on my cellphone: 17 percent
Neighbor warned me: 14 percent
Family member or friend warned me: 28 percent
Police or fire came to my home to warn me: 5 percent
None: 43 percent
Don’t know: 1 percent
In the future, how would you like to be notified about a fire or other impending disaster?
Phone call: 31 percent
Text message: 30 percent
Email: 1 percent
Air raid siren: 28 percent
Other (specify): 7 percent
Don’t know: 3 percent
Do you think Sonoma County is more prepared today to warn you about fires or disasters than it was last year?
Yes: 54 percent
No: 31 percent
Don’t know: 15 percent
SOURCE: The Press Democrat Poll/David Binder Research