A burner on a stove that was accidentally left on is believed to be the cause of a fire that destroyed a Santa Rosa mobile home and killed two cats.

The fire, reported at 9:23 a.m. Friday in the Sunset Mobile Home Park, 2963 Santa Rosa Ave., happened when the two occupants were away.

One was out of town and the other had left for work around 7 a.m., according to fire officials.

"One of the burners was in the &‘on' position," said Rincon Valley Fire Battalion Chief Michael Jones. "The occupants think maybe the cats knocked something over and it may have fallen on the stove."

The loss of the single-wide mobile home was estimated at $30,000, and damage to the contents another $10,000.