Man killed by Windsor police was picked up twice earlier by officers

  • A woman was stabbed on the sidewalk in front of Starbucks on the Windsor Town Green, Saturday June 8, 2013. The suspect that stabbed the woman was shot and killed by law enforcement on Duvander Lane just north of KC's Downtown Grill restaurant. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat) 2013

A man shot and killed by Windsor police early Saturday after he stabbed the mother of his son had been removed from her home by police about two hours earlier, according to a Santa Rosa police captain.

It was the second time during the night Urbano Moreno Morales, 48, had gone to the Espana Way residence in northeast Windsor.

The third time he attempted to see the 60-year-old woman he'd lived with for years ended at the Windsor Town Green early Saturday morning.

Stabbing, Shooting At Windsor Town Green


In less than a few minutes, outside of a Starbucks where their 19-year-old son worked, the woman suffered multiple non-life-threatening stab wounds and Moreno, nearby, was dead.

He was shot by two Windsor officers after he lunged at them with the knife, according to Sonoma County sheriff's officials.

The woman and Moreno — his paternal last name — had lived together for many years on Espana Way. About a month ago she'd told him to leave, according to police and neighbors.

Santa Rosa police Capt. Craig Schwartz said that was when Windsor officers began getting called to the home regarding disturbances.

On Friday night at about 11, Windsor police were called again, to deal with a disturbance.

They found Moreno at the home and arrested him on suspicion of being drunk in public. He was booked into the Sonoma County Jail.

During the early morning he was released from jail, apparently after paying bail for the misdemeanor charge. Before dawn he returned to the home.

© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View