Ralph Bettinelli, longtime Petaluma dairyman and Sonoma County Fair Board director, died this week while on a trip to Scotland.
Bettinelli, 75, had traveled there to see one of his grandchildren compete in an international dairy judging competition.
He died either in surgery or following surgery, according to a relative, James Fremgen of Petaluma.
Bettinelli was on the Fair Board for more than 15 years, including as chairman. As a teenager, he showed Guernsey cattle at the fair.
Bettinelli was a third-generation Petaluma dairyman, who ran a dairy on the Old Adobe Road ranch where he was born and raised.
He and his late wife, Connie, raised five children on the 300-acre dairy ranch.
All of their children were active in 4-H and Future Farmers of America, exhibiting livestock at the Sonoma County Fair. His granddaughter, Jessie Jones, was one of four Petaluma FFA members who advanced to the competition in Edinburgh.
Rose Parade road closures and route info
The parade runs from 10 a.m. to about noon on Saturday.
It begins at Sonoma Avenue and E Street.
It travels north on E Street to Fourth Avenue, then heads west on Fourth Street, past Old Courthouse Square, to B Street.
After going south on B Street for one block, it turns east on Third Street and ends at D Street.
The festival runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Old Courthouse Square and includes food vendors, entertainment and family activities.
The following streets in downtown Santa Rosa will be closed for Saturday’s parade, beginning as early as 8 a.m.
- D Street from Fifth Street to Sonoma Avenue
- Stevenson Street from Brookwood to South E Street
- South E Street from Maple to Sonoma Avenue
- Santa Rosa Avenue from First to Third Street
- E Street from Sonoma Avenue to Fourth Street
- Third Street from Brookwood to B Street
- Sonoma Avenue from Santa Rosa Avenue to Brookwood
- Georgia, Bush, Vallejo and Clark streets from Brookwood to E Street
- Second Street between Brookwood and D Street
- Wheeler and Tupper streets closed at South E Street
- Fourth Street closed from E to B streets
- B Street closed between Third and Fifth streets