A full-size recreational vehicle parked outside a Rincon Valley home burned to the ground Saturday afternoon after a pile of oil-soaked rags spontaneously combusted, fire officials said.
"It was spectacular, I suppose, from a neighbor's perspective. It sent up a huge column of smoke," said Santa Rosa Fire Department Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini.
The fire in the 4300 block of Deer Trail Road off Wallace Road was reported at 7:03 p.m., and units from Rincon Valley, Santa Rosa and Cal Fire responded, Piccinini said.
The blaze gutted the RV, spread to a small shed and scorched the side of the house, but firefighters were able to attack the fire quickly and protect the home, Piccinini said.
Someone at the home who was refinishing a table with linseed oil disposed of the rags in a container without a lid, allowing the rags to oxidize and combust, Piccinini said.
The damage was estimated at $75,000.