79°
Partly sunny
WED
 80°
 54°
THU
 89°
 53°
FRI
 90°
 58°
SAT
 85°
 57°
SUN
 85°
 57°

Man held in Richmond-San Rafael Bridge shooting

  • In this undated photo provided by Richmond Police Department, Nathan Burris is seen. Police are looking for Burris, a man they say is suspected of killing of a female toll collector at the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge and a man who was sitting in a parked vehicle nearby. (AP Photo/Richmond Police Department)

RICHMOND ? A man suspected of gunning down his girlfriend and another person at the entrance to the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge was arrested after an overnight manhunt, police said Wednesday.

California Highway Patrol officers arrested Nathaniel Burris, 46, around 3:15 a.m. Wednesday in Placer County, about 120 miles northeast of the shooting at the toll plaza. Authorities said Burris was sleeping in an airport shuttle van, but drove off after CHP officers approached and surrendered after a short chase.

Richmond Bridge Shooting

X

Burris was booked into Placer County Jail on two counts of murder.

He's suspected of being the driver who opened fire with a shotgun around 6 p.m. Tuesday, killing his girlfriend, Deborah Ross, who was a 51-year-old California Department of Transportation toll booth collector, and 58-year-old Ersie Charles Everett, who was sitting in his truck in the toll plaza parking lot.

Ross and Burris shared a house in Richmond, and neighbors said the two had been having financial problems.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View