Three days of rain have raised the levels in lakes Mendocino and Sonoma, the North Bay's primary water sources, but it's done little to ease the need for conservation this summer.
"They are gaining a little bit of storage, but still not great," said Pam Jeane, Sonoma County Water Agency's deputy chief engineer of operations. "In the scheme of things, it is not a whole lot because we started out so darn low."
The weekend winter storms blanketed California with enough heavy rain and snow to drench racers in the Tour of California, force the cancellation of the final round of the Pro-Am at Pebble Beach, and close passes both north and south.
But it would take two weeks of strong, steady rain more intense than what the North Bay received in this past storm to escape being considered a "critically dry" year, Jeane said.
"We are really thankful for this rain; it brings storage levels up some, but it is too little too late at this point," Jeane said.
In Sonoma County, since Tuesday, Cloverdale had the most rainfall, 4.53 inches, followed by Ukiah, 3.69 inches, and Sonoma, 3.65. Santa Rosa received 2.89 inches during the week and Petaluma 2.97 inches.
Showers were expected to continue through noon today, with a chance of some hail and thunderstorms. It will be followed by a break in the storm pattern until Saturday, when another storm is expected to hit, said Charles Bell, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Monterey.
Santa Rosa, the Water Agency's largest customer, on Thursday will consider a water rationing plan that involves extra use fees and possibly sets water allotments so small that residents won't be able to irrigate their lawns.
The Board of Utilities will consider recommending to City Council members immediate but voluntary conservation measures. The board also may recommend preparing to set new "water shortage" and "excess use" charges should mandatory rationing become warranted.
If supported by the board, the council could decide in April whether to implement the new charges, a staff member said last week. The charges would be based upon a water contingency plan that the council adopted in 2006.