50°
Rain
WED
 56°
 47°
THU
 56°
 50°
FRI
 58°
 44°
SAT
 57°
 48°
SUN
 63°
 47°

4,400 PG&E customers opt-out of SmartMeter program so far

About 4,400 PG&E customers opted out of the utility's controversial SmartMeter program in the two weeks after state regulators first gave them the choice.

Santa Cruz, Marin and San Francisco counties accounted for the most withdrawal requests. But Mendocino County virtually tied Santa Cruz for top of the list when adjusted for population.

More than 250 Mendocino households opted out of the program from Feb. 1 to Feb. 14, accounting for 0.73 percent of households in the county.

In Sonoma County, 230 households requested the opt out, approximately 0.11 percent of households.

But Sebastopol resident Sandi Maurer said the numbers aren't a true gauge of PG&E customers' desire to avoid the wireless meters.

Many of her fellow SmartMeter opponents are declining to opt out because of the cost, which includes a one-time $75 fee and a monthly charge of $10.

"The fees are arbitrary and punitive," she said, criticizing a plan that charges people to keep what they have always had while charging nothing for having a SmartMeter.

PG&E says the new fees will cover the cost of reinstalling analog meters that had been removed and paying for meter readers.

Of the 4,400 customers in the first wave of opt-outs, 2,800 still have analog meters in place while 1,600 had SmartMeters that need removal, according to PG&E.

Ultimately PG&E expects as many as 150,000 of its more than 5 million residential customers to opt out of the network of wireless meters.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View