60°
Mostly clear
TUE
 74°
 45°
WED
 74°
 54°
THU
 71°
 53°
FRI
 76°
 52°
SAT
 69°
 45°

13 family members displaced, dog dies in Ukiah house fire

Fire displaced 13 family members from their Ukiah home Tuesday and took the life of a family dog, fire officials said Wednesday.

The 12:09 p.m. blaze started on a kitchen stove top after someone began heating a pot of oil, left the room for a few minutes, and returned to find the electric range and cabinets ablaze, Ukiah Fire Division Chief Kevin Jennings said.

A fire extinguisher inside the house also failed to work, he said.

Flames destroyed the kitchen, dining room and living room, and left heat and smoke damage throughout most of the split-level house on Luce Avenue, he said.

Ukiah Valley Fire Chief Jeff Adair said firefighters tore out most of the ceiling to stop the fire's spread into the attic.

"It's not a total loss, but it's going to be unoccupied for a while," Jennings said.

Red Cross representatives were on hand to assist the family with temporary lodging, officials said.

"Between their church and Red Cross, I think they're set for a while," Jennings said.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View