Sonoma County Supervisor Efren Carrillo said Tuesday he was "pleased" that the criminal case against him stemming from a Labor Day street fight in San Diego had been dropped by prosecutors.
He responded to questions for the first time during an eight-minute interview on Tuesday, but provided few other details about the altercation, including any more clarity about who delivered a blow that knocked a man unconscious.
"All I can say is I'm pleased with the decision," Carrillo said between sessions of the Board of Supervisors meeting. He thanked San Diego police and prosecutors, calling their investigation "thorough."
Prosecutors determined there was insufficient evidence to charge Carrillo, a decision announced Monday by a spokeswoman for the San Diego City Attorney. Carrillo, who was traveling out of the area, could not be reached for his reaction until Tuesday morning.
The 31-year-old supervisor faced misdemeanor battery and disturbing the peace allegations in connection with the fight outside a popular nightclub in the city's Gaslamp Quarter.
For more than a month, Carrillo has remained tight-lipped about the altercation and his 2:10 a.m. arrest, offering only a pair of written statements.
On Tuesday, he echoed those written statements in a brief interview, saying they constituted a "full explanation of what occurred in the incident."
He suggested those accounts, released two days and more than two weeks after his arrest, respectively, should have sufficed for constituents in his west county district who said he owed them a clearer and quicker explanation.
"The statements were true and correct," Carrillo said. "I submitted those statements as fast as I could, given the nature of the incident."
The second account, issued Sept. 19, reinforced Carrillo's initial statement that he'd come to the aid of female friends he claimed were being verbally and physically harassed by a stranger. He identified the man as 22-year-old San Diego resident Rayan Jastaniyah, who police also arrested in the fight.