58°
Light fog
THU
 78°
 55°
FRI
 82°
 54°
SAT
 79°
 55°
SUN
 78°
 53°
MON
 77°
 53°

1 dead, 1 seriously injured in Mendocino home invasion

A 23-year-old man was shot dead and his younger brother badly injured in an early morning home invasion in the inland Mendocino County community of Redwood Valley, the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office said Friday.

The slain man has been identified as Celso Madueno, authorities said. His brother is Abel Madueno, 19.

Detectives were working furiously to track down leads that might shed light on what prompted the bloodshed at a rural home among vineyards about 10 miles north of Ukiah.

Authorities said two armed men — at least one of them wearing a hood and a bandana over his face — forced their way into the East Road house sometime before 2:44 a.m. Friday for unknown reasons.

Abel Madueno, his parents and grandparents, and a younger child live in the house, Lt. Greg Van Patten said.

Celso Madueno lived in a nearby granny unit on the property and came in when he heard the commotion, Van Patten said.

Multiple rounds were fired. Celso Madueno was hit more than once and was pronounced dead at the scene, authorities said.

The initial call to 911 indicated the younger man also had been killed, but deputies and emergency personnel found him alive, conscious and talking, Assistant Redwood Valley Fire Chief Pete Brown said.

He was taken by ground ambulance to Ukiah Valley Medical Center and later to an out-of-county hospital, and was expected to recover, Brown and Van Patten said.

Van Patten said deputies found marijuana growing on the property, but he cautioned against assuming it had any connection to the gunfire.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View