A 92-year-old Sonoma driver who was cited after police said he struck two boys in a crosswalk, seriously injuring one, said Monday he did not hit anyone and he is fine to continue driving.
"I did not run into these children by any stretch of the imagination," Leo Arkelian said at his home.
But Sonoma police said Arkelian struck Toby Ragueneau, 13, while he and an eighth-grade classmate at Sonoma Charter School were crossing Fifth Street West at about 12:40 p.m. Saturday. Ragueneau suffered a skull fracture. His friend was treated for abrasions and released.
Numerous pedestrians in crosswalks have been hit by cars in recent years in Sonoma County. In Santa Rosa, 10 have been killed since January 2011, including two in the past two weeks.
Ragueneau on Monday was resting in his bed at his Boyes Hot Springs home after he was released earlier in the day from a Napa hospital.
Two classmates dropped by to deliver a large card signed by students, and on his bed was a football bearing the signatures of several players on the Sonoma Jr. Dragons. Ragueneau, who plays for the team, missed the last game of the season because of the accident.
His parents are grateful the outcome wasn't worse. Andre Ragueneau said he experienced "the longest drive of my life" from San Francisco to Napa on Saturday after his wife phoned him to say their son had been gravely injured.
Andre Ragueneau said he holds no ill will toward Arkelian, only to the state Department of Motor Vehicles for allowing the elderly man to have a driver's license.
"I just had this argument with my own father, and he's not allowed to drive anymore," said Andre Ragueneau, who works as a commercial fisherman and boatwright.
But Arkelian insisted he did not strike the boys.