Petaluma teacher Kim Conover was denied an emergency restraining order against her estranged husband one week before he shot and killed her, according to Petaluma police records.
The 43-year-old mother of four and longtime Petaluma elementary teacher had tried again Sunday to get legal help in keeping him away.
She had gone to her divorce attorney's Keller Street office for help seeking a temporary restraining order from the courts. But her husband, Kevin Conover, 41, was waiting outside the office and shot her as she walked away. He then shot and killed himself.
Petaluma police on Tuesday released further details of the troubled history of the couple, who had been married less than two years. They had toddler twins and she had two teen daughters from a prior marriage.
Reports showed five contacts with police in 12 months. They included family disturbances, a domestic dispute and domestic violence allegations, said Petaluma Lt. Tim Lyons.
Kim Conover had sought help three times. Kevin Conover called once. And one call was made by her 15-year-old daughter, said Lyons.
On April 9, Kim Conover went to the Petaluma Police Department at 12:45 p.m., reported that Kevin Conover had grabbed her that morning and asked for an emergency restraining order.
She also told police there were no witnesses to the violence and she didn't want him arrested, Lyons said.
The emergency request, which included that day's allegation, was reviewed by a Sonoma County judge and was denied. The name of the judge was not available late Tuesday afternoon.
The decision indicates the judge hadn't been convinced of an immediate threat or danger to the requesting party, Lyons said.
Her first call for help came one year earlier, on April 12, 2011.
Kim Conover told officers then that the couple was fighting over who'd get a family computer, issues regarding their children and multiple relationships, according to the report.
She said no physical assault had occurred and the couple eventually agreed to stay in separate places in the house for the night and cool down, Lyons said.
On June 2, she called for police claiming he'd assaulted her by grabbing her.
Officers asked if she wanted an emergency restraining order. She said no, Lyons said. Officers, who feared she might be in danger, made the request to a judge who granted the week-long protection, the report said.
Such emergency orders are expected to give a person time to seek a lengthier temporary restraining order from the courts.
But when an officer sought to serve Kevin Conover with the emergency order, Kim Conover intervened.
She no longer wanted him prosecuted, said she didn't need the order and changed her version of what happened, saying "the suspect didn't try to hurt her but was touching her arm to try and get attention," Lyons said.
She also told police there'd been no prior incidents of domestic violence between them.
"It's a common symptom of someone who's a victim, taking it back," said Lyons.
On Oct. 23, Kevin Conover called police, claiming his wife had attacked him. Officers went to their home and determined there'd been no criminal assault.
The couple agreed he would leave for the day and they would work out a sharing agreement for the children, the report said.
Upcoming meeting to explore 4G wireless technology
Santa Rosa and Verizon are holding a series of meetings in coming weeks to allay concerns about its network of 4G “small cell” wireless antenna equipment being installed on utility poles around the city.
The four joint Verizon/city meetings will take place:
— Monday, Feb. 26, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 637 First St.
— Saturday, March 3, from 10 a.m. to noon at Veteran’s Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Ave.
— Thursday, March 8, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Veteran’s Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Ave.
— Saturday, March 10, from 10 a.m. to noon, at Veteran’s Memorial Building, 1351 Maple Ave.
In addition the City Council is planning to hold a study session on the issue Tuesday, March 6, beginning at 3 p.m. at City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Ave.