56°
Clear
TUE
 84°
 50°
WED
 89°
 48°
THU
 90°
 48°
FRI
 91°
 52°
SAT
 90°
 51°

Bennett Valley chimney fire causes $75,000 damage

A chimney fire caused about $75,000 in damage to a Bennett Valley home Monday, officials said.

The fire was reported at 7:14p.m. on Sonoma Mountain Road near La Paz Lane.

A couple were enjoying a fireplace fire at their single-story home when they noticed smoke near the ceiling, Bennett Valley Battalion Chief Dan George said.

The man "went outside and looked at his chimney on the outside of the house and saw flames," George said.

The fire was burning through the roof when firefighters arrived. It destroyed much of the roof and part of a living room by the time firefighters had it out, but most of the house was saved, George said.

The couple, whose names weren't available, were staying with neighbors, he said.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View