61°
Cloudy
WED
 80°
 52°
THU
 89°
 53°
FRI
 90°
 56°
SAT
 85°
 57°
SUN
 84°
 57°

Fire destroys part of Sebastopol mixed-use project

  • 9:15 am Morning fire at Barlow building in Sebastopol. Scott Manchester / For The Press Democrat

A two-alarm blaze destroyed a large section of The Barlow, a decades-old former apple-processing plant at the center of a planned 12-acre Sebastopol hub for wineries, food producers and artists.

The front half of the 20,000-square-foot metal frame building and bundled vintage clothing that was stored there burned for hours, sending a dark plume of smoke into the sky that was visible from Santa Rosa, seven miles away.

The corrugated metal structure, site of the former Barlow Apple Factory, was planned as a second site for the Community Market, a Santa Rosa-based nonprofit organic food market. It would be a centerpiece of the $23.5 million plan to remake the warehouse property off Morris Street and Highway 12 into an upscale cluster of retail shops and production and office spaces.

Fire At The Barlow In Sebastopol

X

Despite the fire damage, Barney Aldridge, owner and developer of The Barlow, said he expected delays would be minimal in completing the remodel and he still hoped the market could be operating by November, about a month later than planned.

Renovation of the building had not yet begun and new construction on the rest of the site was unaffected, he said.

Aldridge said he was just "relieved no one was hurt."

The 9:17 a.m. fire started when a construction worker was using a cutting torch to trim rebar in a covered breezeway at the center of the warehouse, said Assistant Sebastopol Fire Chief Mike Reeser and Ron Roysum, project superintendent.

In the southernmost section of the warehouse, clothing was ignited that was being sorted in preparation for selling at Aubergine Vintage Emporium and Cafe south of downtown.

Chuck Wootton, a subcontractor with Chico-based Slater & Son Concrete who was working in the other half of the structure with its roll-up door open, said he quickly noticed flames coming out from under the closed door opposite and "yelled 'Fire'."

Roysum, a Hopland Fire District captain in his off hours, said the clothing inside would have absorbed any moisture, leaving the air extremely dry and vulnerable to flames.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View