A Santa Rosa man indicted and arrested on federal wire fraud charges last year continued to defraud would-be investors even as he was out of custody awaiting criminal prosecution, a federal grand jury said.
Douglas Dean Hollingsworth, 64, now faces 27 felony counts involving a total of 12 people he allegedly victimized over more than five years, according to a new grand jury indictment made public this week -- the third to be issued in the case so far.
The document says Hollingsworth, operating as Baytree Investors LLC and Capsule Partners LLC, lured investors with promises of returns as high as 6 percent, saying he'd developed a "sophisticated computer system" that permitted him to track market trends and make highly successful securities trades.
But the grand jury said Hollingsworth never intended to invest their money, instead using it for personal expenses as well as Ponzi payments to others to whom he was supposed to repay money. They said the only trades he made were "minimal and unsuccessful."
Three of the suspected victims conducted their business with Hollingsworth after his Aug. 16, 2011, indictment on nine counts of wire fraud involving a single East Coast victim, the indictment states.
It says Hollingsworth never told them about a 2010 FBI raid on his home, authorities' seizure of more than $80,000 in several bank accounts held in his and his wife's names, and the resulting grand jury indictment.
The Press Democrat was unable to reach Hollingsworth and his wife, Rebecca, for comment. Their attorney, Chris Andrian, also was not available for comment.
But residents on El Dorado Court near Sutter Medical Center, where the Hollingsworths lived for about eight years before losing their home to foreclosure earlier this year, said the couple made a point of declaring their innocence to several neighbors in the months after their legal problems became public.
Douglas Hollingsworth has pleaded not guilty in the case. Rebecca Hollingsworth is not named as a criminal defendant, though she was a co-defendant in a related civil suit settled earlier this year with a Santa Rosa couple who claimed to have lost more than $1 million to Hollingsworth.
Neighbors said Douglas Hollingsworth moved into the house before the rest of his family, including a daughter now in middle school and an older daughter of Rebecca Hollingsworth.