56°
Cloudy
FRI
 58°
 47°
SAT
 57°
 53°
SUN
 64°
 49°
MON
 66°
 45°
TUE
 67°
 47°

Cotati man gets nearly 15 years in prison for roadside gropings

A Cotati man has been sentenced to nearly 15 years in prison for a series of roadside sexual assaults on women drivers in 2008 and 2009 that struck fear in the motoring public.

Thomas Darin Boccaleoni, 47, pleaded no contest to driving up behind three women on darkened Santa Rosa and Sebastopol roads, flashing his high-beam lights and molesting them when they pulled over.

Prosecutors initially charged Boccaleoni with 10 felonies, exposing him to 28 years behind bars, but agreed to drop seven counts in a pre-trial settlement.

The former Marin County chef was sentenced Dec. 20 to 14 years, six months in prison.

None of the women who had been accosted spoke at the hearing, but one said in a Sonoma County Probation Department report that she would be "happiest if he never comes out."

"When I looked in this guy's eyes, he was not home," said the woman, who was assaulted on Sexton Road near Sebastopol after leaving a tavern in 2009. "There was something driving him that scared the frigging daylights out of me. I thought he wanted to kill me."

It was not the first time Boccaleoni has been convicted for attacks on women, according to the probation report. In 2006, he was sentenced to a year in jail for assaulting four women on San Francisco streets, using the pretense of asking for directions to get near them. In one instance, he tried to pull a woman into his SUV as she was entering her parent's home. Another time he slipped into a woman's apartment behind her and groped her as she climbed a staircase.

At that time probation officials said Boccaleoni was in the "high-risk category" for being charged or convicted of another sexual offense after his release. District Attorney Jill Ravitch said he could be committed for a longer period under the state's sexually violent predator law.

"He will be required to serve 85 percent of his sentence before he is eligible for parole," Ravitch said Wednesday.

The Sonoma County case unfolded after police began investigating multiple reports of roadside attacks on women from November 2008 to April 2009.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View