54°
Clouds and sun
THU
 75°
 55°
FRI
 66°
 43°
SAT
 68°
 39°
SUN
 70°
 39°
MON
 72°
 45°

Bodega Bay surfer escapes house fire, dies in car

  • Bodega Bay firefighters clear rubble at the home of Steve Wayne McAlpin,who died of his injuries in a fire at his home in Carmet, Monday Dec. 9, 2013 north of Bodega Bay. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat) 2013

CARMET — A Sonoma Coast man escaped a raging fire that destroyed his home early Monday only to succumb moments later in his car, authorities said.

Well-known surfer Steve Wayne McAlpin, 62, was found slumped over the wheel of his Kia Soul after it swerved into a ditch just three doors down from his burning home, family members and authorities said.

He had no apparent burn wounds, but it was otherwise unclear how he died, whether of smoke inhalation, heart failure or some other problem, said his daughter, Acacia Balzer.

Though he suffered from high blood pressure and diabetes, McAlpin was otherwise healthy and still surfing, including four days earlier off Bolinas, Balzer said.

He was also teaching her 7-year-old son to surf, as he'd taught her. "My dad was (almost) 63, and he looked he was 45," Balzer said.

Known affectionately around Bodega Bay as SteveO and, sometimes, Da Kine (excellent) Kahuna, the devoted surfer had lived for more than 40 years in the tight-knit community of Carmet, a collection of year-round and weekend homes with views of the surf north of Bodega Bay.

McAlpin had a surfboard repair shop at his Coastal Avenue home, which was otherwise a treasure trove of collectibles and memorabilia reflecting his life as a lifelong surfer, Grateful Dead fan, music buff and comic book collector, according to his daughter and many friends who gathered in the neighborhood after hearing of their friend's death.

All of it was lost in the blaze discovered shortly after 3:20 a.m. Monday. Several neighbors called 911 to get fire crews to the scene, but the flames already had engulfed the house, leaving behind a charred pile of debris with just the fireplace standing and a rainbow-colored wind-sock wavering above in the wind.

A neighbor across the street said the loud popping and cracking noises from the fire awakened her and her dog, and she came outside early enough to see McAlpin back out of his driveway and start to drive up the street.

He made it past just three houses before driving across the oncoming lane and into a ditch, authorities said. Paramedics attempted to revive him without success.


comments powered by Disqus
© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View