SAN JOSE — Four dogs woke a sleeping man who escaped with his life as flames roared through a South Bay fourplex.
The man ran downstairs with three dogs on his heels, but one of the dogs made a wrong turn into a bedroom and died of smoke inhalation.
The San Jose Mercury News (http://bit.ly/SjFAwh ) says firefighters arrived Thursday night to find a bedroom fully involved in flames and heavy smoke on the second floor.
The fire was quickly extinguished and the dead dog was found on the second floor.
Investigators say the fire appears to be accidental.
Information from: San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News, http://www.mercurynews.com