58°
Cloudy
SAT
 68°
 45°
SUN
 71°
 43°
MON
 73°
 42°
TUE
 78°
 48°
WED
 80°
 50°

4th Northern Californian dies of mushroom poisoning

LOOMIS, Calif. - A fourth person has died from eating a soup made with poisonous mushrooms earlier this month at senior care facility in Northern California, authorities said Tuesday.

The Placer County Sheriff's Department identified the woman as Dorothy Mary Hart, 92.

Three others at the six-bed Gold Age Villa care facility in Loomis died from eating the mushrooms in what sheriff's investigators characterize as an accident.

"This is an ongoing tragedy, an unfortunate accident," said Dena Erwin, spokeswoman for the sheriff's office.

All of the victims were sickened Nov. 8, including the caretaker who made the soup after picking mushrooms in the backyard of the facility.


© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View