More than 90 tons of ready-to-eat salads and sandwiches by a California catering company are being recalled after 26 people in three states were sickened by a bacterial strain of E. coli linked to its products, federal health officials said Sunday.
Richmond-based Glass Onion Catering is recalling approximately 181,620 pounds of salads and sandwich wraps containing cooked chicken and ham, the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service said.
The recalled products wound up in salads sold by Trader Joe's, Walgreens and Whole Foods, and in a wrap sold by Walgreens.
All Northern California Trader Joe's stores have pulled the Mexicali Salad, Classic Greek Salad and Field Fresh Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken from shelves for all products with a "USE BY" date through Nov. 15, according to the company's website. Anyone who bought those salads can return them for a full refund, the company said.
The Southwestern Salad Kit and Wheat Berry Salad Kit sold at Whole Foods also were recalled in Northern California, according to the Food and Drug Administration's website.
At Walgreens in Northern California, the Delish Greek Style Orzo Salad, Delish Asian Style Noodle Salad and Delish Vegetarian Wrap also were recalled.
The products were produced between Sept. 23 and Nov. 6, and were shipped to distribution centers in California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Texas. The Contra Costa Times reported the company supplies food to Trader Joe's, Super Fresh Goods and Delish.
The FSIS said it began monitoring a cluster of illnesses involving E. coli O157:H7 on Oct. 29 and then was notified by the FDA that California authorities had reported people sickened from eating pre-packaged salads with grilled chicken.
In Washington, three people who were sickened with the bacterium told investigators they ate ready-to-eat salads from Trader Joe's, said Tim Church, a spokesman with the state's Department of Health.
The FSIS says the bacteria can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps two to eight days after being exposed to it. While most people recover within a week, some develop kidney failure.