62°
Cloudy
SAT
 74°
 57°
SUN
 76°
 54°
MON
 79°
 52°
TUE
 80°
 54°
WED
 76°
 56°

No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case

  • FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2013, file photo, Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston warms up before an NCAA college football game against Florida in Gainesville, Fla. The prosecutor overseeing the investigation of sexual assault allegations against Winston says it is completed. State Attorney Willie Meggs has scheduled a news conference at 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 5, 2013, in his office to announce his findings. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)

A month later, she identified her alleged attacker as the quarterback. Winston's attorney said the sex was consensual.

The quarterback said in a statement he was relieved.

"It's been difficult to stay silent through this process, but I never lost faith in the truth and in who I am," Winston said.

The alleged assault happened long before Winston became a star on the national stage. Reports about an investigation didn't surface in the public until last month, as the redshirt freshman was well into a remarkable season with Florida State.

Winston, 19, has led the Seminoles to a No. 1 ranking and a shot at a national championship if they defeat Duke on Saturday in the ACC title game. As for the Heisman, many voters were waiting to see whether he would be charged before casting their ballot. The deadline is Monday and Winston is considered a leading contender for the trophy for the nation's top player. It will be awarded Dec. 14.


comments powered by Disqus
© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View