Hospital arraignment for Bennett Valley robbery suspect (w/video)

  • A suspect is taken by ambulance after a robbery at Bennett Valley Jewelers in Santa Rosa, Thursday, July 10, 2014. (PD FILE, 2014)

An ex-convict who was released from prison earlier this month was arraigned in his hospital room Monday on an array of charges stemming from last week’s robbery and shootout at a Santa Rosa jewelry store.

Jimmy Terry, 43, of Oakland was shot at least four times during the robbery last Thursday at Bennett Valley Jewelers. In an unusual hearing at Memorial Hospital, where he is being treated for his wounds in a room guarded around the clock, Sonoma County prosecutors charged Terry with numerous felonies, including attempted homicide, robbery and multiple gun enhancements.

Meanwhile detectives Monday still were trying to identify and find a second robber. They now believe that man escaped in a getaway car the suspects had stashed in a nearby residential neighborhood, said Santa Rosa police Sgt. John Cregan.

Jewelry Store Robbery


“We haven’t found him yet. We’re not 100 percent positive who he is. Some tips have come in but we’re encouraging anyone who knows his identification and whereabouts to give us a call,” Cregan said.

Terry was stopped Thursday by off-duty Santa Rosa police officer Brian Mann, who had been having lunch nearby when he heard gunfire and tackled the wounded man as he attempted to flee the store.

The 1:30 p.m. robbery occurred when two men, wearing masks and carrying at least one gun, burst into the Yulupa Avenue store. Holding owner Ty Visscher and two store employees at gunpoint, they smashed glass cabinets and shoved jewelry and watches — some carrying a retail price of $40,000 — into bags.

The robbers, who had arrived at the strip mall in a red Ford Mustang, were mainly after the store’s Rolex watches, Cregan said.

Visscher grabbed his own gun at some point and a shootout broke out. Numerous shots were fired by Visscher and Terry, Cregan said.

Employee Suzanne Dodd, 64, was struck in each arm. Not seriously injured, she was treated and released.

Terry was hit at least four times — in the upper chest, groin, neck and hand. He remains under police guard and has improved enough to leave intensive care, Cregan said. He is expected to be incarcerated at the Sonoma County Jail later this month.

comments powered by Disqus
© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View