66°
Cloudy
SAT
 67°
 44°
SUN
 71°
 44°
MON
 74°
 43°
TUE
 78°
 48°
WED
 80°
 50°

Shirlee Zane critical of decision to return Andy Lopez shooter to patrol

  • Sonoma County Supervisor Shirlee Zane during a forum on homelessness in 2014. (ALVIN JORNADA/ PD FILE, 2014)

Sonoma County Supervisor Shirlee Zane is publicly criticizing the way Sheriff Steve Freitas handled the decision to return to patrol duty the deputy who shot 13-year-old Andy Lopez, calling it a “slap in the face” to the community still grieving over the teen’s death.

In an op-ed piece published in Friday’s Press Democrat, Zane and Francisco Vázquez, a Sonoma State University history professor, say they were “blindsided” by the decision and take Freitas to task for not involving the supervisors or a community task force in the decision.

“Yes, the Sheriff has the legal right to put deputy Gelhaus back on the streets wherever he needs him,” the pair wrote. “But to assert that right without consultation with other members of an implicit social contract is inconsiderate at best and an arrogance of power at worst.”

Vázquez is one of Zane’s appointees to the Community and Local Law Enforcement Task Force established after the Oct. 22 shooting. He serves on the Community Healing Subcommittee of that body.

Freitas declined to discuss the views raised in the piece.

“I support people expressing their opinion whether I agree with them or not,” Freitas said. “I don’t think it benefits the people of Sonoma County to get into a war of words over this decision.”

Zane said she and her board colleagues learned last Thursday that the decision had been made to return Deputy Erick Gelhaus to active patrol duty on Tuesday.

The firearms expert and Iraq War veteran shot Lopez seven times on the outskirts of southwest Santa Rosa as the teen carried a plastic BB gun designed to look like an AK-47 assault rifle. The shooting made national news and sparked weeks of cross-town marches and protests in the streets of Santa Rosa and at city and county government buildings. Lopez’s family has sued both the county and Gelhaus in federal court, contending the boy’s civil rights were violated.

Gelhaus returned to work in December in an administrative capacity, including a post with the department’s armory. District Attorney Jill Ravitch announced July 7 that an investigation by her office determined the shooting was not a criminal act.

Word that Gelhaus would return to patrol came to Zane in an email from Sheriff’s Cpt. Glenn Lawrence. The email noted that The Press Democrat had learned of the reassignment before sheriff’s officials had time to brief supervisors.


comments powered by Disqus
© The Press Democrat |  Terms of Service |  Privacy Policy |  Jobs With Us |  RSS |  Advertising |  Sonoma Media Investments |  Place an Ad
Switch to our Mobile View