A small kitchen fire Friday displaced a Petaluma couple from their apartment at a senior living complex, fire officials said.
An oiled pan heating on the stovetop was left unattended and caught fire about 12:15 p.m. at the Vintage Chateau Senior Apartments on North McDowell Boulevard, Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Schach said.
The fire triggered the sprinkler system in the second-floor apartment. The water extinguished the fire and caused some flooding in the unit and ceiling damage to the first-floor apartment below.
Three people were home at the time of the fire, an elderly couple and their daughter, but no one was injured, Schach said. The unit sustained water damage and the residents would be displaced for several days, Schach said.
You can reach Staff Writer Julie Johnson at 707-521-5220 or email@example.com. On Twitter @jjpressdem.
Schools back in session next week
Santa Rosa City Schools reopening Oct. 27:
—Brook Hill Elementary
—Hidden Valley Elementary
—Maria Carrillo High School
—Piner High School
—Proctor Terrace Elementary
—Rincon Valley Middle School
—Santa Rosa Accelerated Charter School
—Steele Lane Elementary
Districts reopening schools Monday:
— Bennett Valley
— Oak Grove
— Roseland (It’s temporarily moving its Roseland Collegiate Prep students to two of its elementary schools)
— Sonoma Valley (except Dunbar, which opens Oct. 24)
Districts reopening schools Tuesday
— Kenwood (tentative)
— Rincon Valley
Districts reopening schools Wednesday
— Geyserville (tentative)
SOURCES: Santa Rosa City Schools, Sonoma County Office of Education