Fermentation Fun: Sunday’s Farm to Fermentation Festival promises to be bigger and better than ever, with hands-on activities, a wide array of tastings and a sauerkraut competition, open to anyone. It takes place at the Finley Community Center (2060 West College Ave., Santa Rosa) from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
New this year is a root beer float bar, hosted by The Kefiry of Sebastopol. The Kefiry makes a Triple Root Beer, which will be paired with Straus Family Creamery ice cream.
Workshops and demonstrations take place nonstop throughout the day, with homemade kimchi, umeboshi, beet kvass, cheese-making, meat-curing and digestive health among the topics. You can learn how to make your own fermented sour pickles, or sample cheeses paired with cider, mead and wine.
General admission is $25. VIP admission, which includes access to the Libation Lounge, is $45. The Madame Fromage Cheese Pairing is an additional $15 and advance tickets for this are highly recommended, as it is expected to sell out. Children aged 13 to 18 pay $15 and kids 12 and under are admitted free.
For advance tickets, visit farmtofermentation.com.
Proceeds from this year’s festival benefit Worth Our Weight Culinary Apprenticeship Program.
Caws for Paws: On Friday, August 22, Negri’s Restaurant hosts the 6th Annual Caws for Paws, a spaghetti feed that benefits Sonoma County Animal Services.
It takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Admission is just $20 per person.
In addition to a spaghetti dinner, animals will be available for on-site adoption and t-shirts will be available for purchase. There is a raffle as well, with great prizes.
The Negri family donates 50 percent of the night’s proceeds to the organization.
If you’d like to make a donation but can’t attend the dinner, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 874-6006.
Negri’s Restaurant is located at 3700 Bohemian Highway in downtown Occidental.
Hardcore Hawaiian: If you haven’t visited the new Hardcore Organic Coffee, which moved across the street from its longtime locale a few months ago, Sunday offers a great opportunity, as there will be a special Aloha Sunday Sale adjacent to the coffee house. Items include leis, printed bags and towels, gently used Hawaiian clothing, decorative items for the home and garden and much more, plus all the beautiful aloha smiles you’ll receive when you buy something.
The sale takes place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the corner of Hwy. 116 and Bloomfield Rd. in Sebastopol, and is a fundraiser for Halau Hula Na Pua O Ka La’akea, a hula school under the direction of Kumu Hula Shawna Alapa’i.
Hardcore Organic Coffee, is located at 1798 Gravenstein Highway S., Sebastopol.
Venus in Blue Jeans Beer & More: On Sunday, August 24, HopMonk Tavern in Novato hosts a special dinner featuring the brews of Baeltane Brewing, also of Novato. Alan Atha, founder, brewer and co-owner, and Cathy Portje, co-owner, will be the evening’s special guests.
The evening gets started at 6 p.m., with Biere de Gardinere. An appetizer of grilled cantaloupe and prosciutto with blue cheese and tarragon comes next with Venus in Blue Jeans Strong Belgian-Style. Seafood manicotti with marinara sauce and squash blossom is paired with Fleuret Belgian-Style.
The main course, charred flank steak with slow-roasted carrots and a spinach, feta and beet salad, features Black Spot Porter alongside.
(Seedings in parentheses)
(8) Tamalpais 52, (9) Windsor 50
(7) Redwood 46, (10) Montgomery 39
(4) Alameda 59, (13) Cardinal Newman 44
(12) Hayward 59, (5) Piner 48
(4) San Rafael 46, (13) Analy 35
(3) Drake 44, (14) Sonoma Valley 38
All tipoffs 7 p.m. unless noted
(7) Healdsburg vs. (10) McKinleyville
(8) Kelseyville vs. (9) Fortuna
(14) Middletown at (3) Stuart Hall, 5:30 p.m.
(15) Rincon Valley Christian at (2) St. Patrick/St. Vincent
(7) Clear Lake vs. (10) Bentley, 5:30 p.m.
(8) Cloverdale vs. (9) Head-Royce, 5:30 p.m.
(14) Sonoma Academy at (3) Urban, 5:30 p.m.
(15) Upper Lake vs. (2) Branson at College of Marin
(1) Laytonville vs. (16) El Sobrante Christian
(3) Mendocino vs. (14) Round Valley
(5) Rio Lindo Adventist vs. (12) Patten Academy
(7) Rincon Valley Christian vs. (10) South Fork
(11) Point Arena at (6) SF Waldorf
(13) Archbishop Hanna at (4) Jewish Community
(15) Anderson Valley at (2) Cornerstone Christian
(3) Montgomery 71, (14) Rancho Cotate 46
(6) Ukiah 59, (11) Acalanes 47
(8) Casa Grande 45, (9) Petaluma 38
(2) Cardinal Newman 92, (15) Las Lomas 27
(4) Campolindo 72, (13) Sonoma Valley 37
(3) Eureka 67, (14) Analy 45
(9) Healdsburg at (4) Marin Catholic
(11) Kelseyville at (6) Swett
(14) Fort Bragg at (3) Piedmont
(4) Clear Lake vs. (13) Redwood Christian
(5) Cloverdale vs. (12) Athenian
(10) Sonoma Academy at (6) Marin Academy
(1) Rincon Valley Christian, bye
(2) Laytonville, bye
(7) Calistoga vs. (10) Tomales
(8) Credo at (9) South Fork
(12) Mendocino vs. (5) El Sobrante Christian, 5:30 p.m.
(Seedings in parentheses)
All kickoffs 7 p.m. unless noted
(1) Montgomery vs. (4) Ygnacio Valley
(4) Rancho Cotate at (1) Miramonte
(1) Montgomery vs. (5) Livermore, 5:00
(2) Maria Carrillo vs. (6) Redwood at Santa Rosa High School
(1) Analy vs. (12) Ygnacio Valley
(4) Cardinal Newman at (1) Branson, 3 p.m.
(6) Sonoma Academy at (2) Piedmont