Skip to content
A closed sign stands in front of the National Archives on the first day of a government shutdown, Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
A closed sign stands in front of the National Archives on the first day of a government shutdown, Wednesday, Oct. 1, 2025, in Washington. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
PUBLISHED: | UPDATED:
Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Lea el artículo en español aquí.

The federal government shut down at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday after Congress failed to pass a funding bill, triggering furloughs, service disruptions and uncertainty across the country.

We’re tracking what that means today for Sonoma and Napa counties — from Social Security offices and food banks to veterans’ clinics, airports, agriculture, public lands and more. This page will be updated throughout the day as our reporters fan out across the region.


Food banks: No spike yet, but bracing for possible demand

Local food banks did not see a surge in need Wednesday, said Allison Goodwin, president and CEO of Redwood Empire Food Bank. That was expected, she noted — federal employees working without pay are unlikely to seek help on the first day of a shutdown.

If the government remains closed and programs such as WIC or SNAP — both run through the USDA — are disrupted, demand could rise. Even a perceived threat can spark concern, Goodwin said, pushing more people to turn to food banks.

During the last shutdown in 2019, Redwood Empire Food Bank created a special distribution for U.S. Coast Guard families. This time, Goodwin said, the organization has not made preemptive plans to target specific agencies because, “I don’t know all of the impacts.”

“I think it would depend on how pervasive that turned out to be,” she said.

For now, she added, the nonprofit should be able to absorb any increase in demand through its existing network of local sites and faith-based partners. On Wednesday, the food bank posted on social media addressing the shutdown directly:

“Lean on us, we’re here to help,” the message read, pointing people to call 707-523-7900 or visit getfood.refb.org.


Rep. Thompson presses for telehealth funding as shutdown begins

Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena, whose district covers much of the North Bay, said the first call his Washington, D.C., office received Wednesday morning came from a constituent worried about losing telemedicine access.

She will now have to spend $100 each way to Uber to and from her health care appointments.

“She wanted us to know telemedicine is really important to her,” Thompson told The Press Democrat.

The expanded Medicare coverage for telehealth services expired Sept. 30 under existing law, separate from the shutdown. But Thompson had hoped to secure an extension in negotiations for a new appropriations bill — a scenario that won’t occur as long as Congress is paralyzed by the funding lapse.

Thompson has joined a bipartisan coalition of 70 lawmakers urging House and Senate leaders to extend the funding.

Other impacts of the shutdown may take a day or two to become visible, Thompson said. But beyond those practical effects, he argued the larger problem is political.

“It’s just wrong. We should fund the government and keep it open,” he said. “And this president is threatening even greater impacts, letting people go from their jobs and cutting off various forms of funding.”

Thompson added that “it’s hard to develop any trust” with a president who has repeatedly clawed back money Congress had already authorized.

He also warned that without further action, medical premiums could rise dramatically. According to Covered California, the state’s health insurance marketplace, premiums could increase by an average of 97% if Republicans aren’t willing to revisit the budget bill they passed in early July, he said.

“We’re talking about the possibility of rest homes and clinics closing,” he said.

Still, Thompson said his office is receiving “overwhelming” support in calls, texts and emails from constituents. He argued that voters are rejecting partisan “spin” and recognize who holds responsibility.

“The fact is, Republicans control the House, the Senate and the White House,” he said. “They could end this government shutdown with a phone call from the president.”

Thompson isn’t giving up on a timely resolution, but he didn’t sound optimistic. Talks are happening between Senate Democrats and Republicans, he said, but “the House Republicans are not in Washington, D.C. They’re on vacation someplace.”



Local ag operations continue, but farmer-facing agencies hit hard

A Sept. 30 U.S. Department of Agriculture funding lapse plan shows the agency expects to furlough nearly half its workforce — 42,256 of 85,907 employees.

Sonoma County Agriculture Commissioner Andrew Smith said county ag departments should be able to maintain day-to-day operations for now. Local pest prevention programs and services that protect crops and livestock from wildlife will continue, as will emergency efforts to address animal and plant health problems such as avian influenza and New World screwworm, he said.

But farmer-facing USDA agencies are taking a harder hit.

The Farm Service Agency, which provides loans to farmers and ranchers and oversees disaster and conservation programs, is slated to furlough 6,377 of its 9,468 employees. According to the USDA plan, the agency will halt loan processing, technical assistance and most customer correspondence.

“The longer the shutdown, the worse it’s going to be for farmer-facing agency work,” Smith said.

He added that the funding lapse compounds other challenges for agriculture — including tariffs, reduced demand for soybeans and wine, and the expiration of the 2018 farm bill Sept. 30.

“It’s just a cascade of hits to agriculture on the national level,” Smith said.

In Napa County, spokesperson Linda Weinreich said officials are monitoring the shutdown’s effects across operations. The county anticipates potential delays in federal reimbursement but said it is too soon to know the specifics. The agricultural commissioner’s office is expected to continue running as usual.


Huffman: Shutdown fight is about health care — and democracy itself

Asked if Democrats hold the moral high ground in the shutdown fight, Rep. Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael, didn’t hesitate.

“Absolutely,” he told The Press Democrat. “Does anyone want a shutdown? Of course not. None of my Democratic colleagues wanted it to come to this. But we’ve been backed into a corner. And it’s really important for folks to understand how we got here.”

Huffman said Democrats are not simply seeking a political opening. Instead, he pointed to what he called a health care crisis sparked by “draconian cuts” Republicans pushed through over Democratic objections.

Democrats, he said, are demanding that any funding deal extend tax credits that lower the cost of insurance purchased through the Affordable Care Act.

“In my district alone, there are 37,000 people who benefit from this premium tax credit,” Huffman said. “Typically, they are independent contractors or small businesses who buy their insurance on the exchange, and they qualify for these benefits that make the premiums affordable. Notices have already begun to go out, and many more will go out, that premiums are in many cases going to double and triple because of that expiration. That’s one of the things Democrats are fighting for.”

But Huffman added that the fight is also about something larger: what he called the erosion of democratic norms under President Donald Trump.

“We are so far past the Rubicon, into lawless dictatorship here,” he said. “Even if you could get Republicans to talk to Democrats — which so far they’re refusing to do — and even if you could get a deal, it’s almost meaningless when you have a president who’s going to do whatever he wants to do. Trump has been operating with total impunity — shutting down cancer research, dismantling departments that Congress authorized, ignoring foreign aid mandates from Congress.”

“Democrats need to have a gut check, and ask themselves: Why would we vote to greenlight all this destruction?” Huffman said. “Republicans control all three branches of government. If they really want to do all this damage, they should do it with their own votes. And they should own it.”


Head Start centers remain open in Sonoma and Napa counties

All Head Start centers in Sonoma County were operating normally Wednesday, with funding secure unless the shutdown drags on, according to a notice posted on the Sonoma Community Action Network’s website.

Head Start, a federally funded program for low-income children and families, is run locally by Sonoma CAN and by Child Start in Napa and Solano counties.

“These are uncertain times,” said Manisha Gupta, director of early childhood education at Sonoma CAN. “But we’ll make sure that as we learn more, we will communicate with our staff and families. Our work continues.”

At the Head Start center in Napa’s Fuller Park, toddlers were busy at their tables.

“We’re good for now,” a staff member said.


No delays reported at Sonoma County airport

At Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport, operations were running normally Wednesday, airport manager Jon Stout said.

“Air traffic controllers are considered essential so they would have to show up for work,” he said. “For now, they are showing up and there’s been no impact.”

Stout noted that the Transportation Security Administration contracts with a third party for passenger screening at the airport. That multi-year agreement is paid up front, he said, and “is not impacted by delays with continuing resolutions or the shutdown.”

The current five-year contract is set to expire in about six months. For now, Stout said, its funding insulates TSA contractors from the shutdown — but a prolonged budget fight in Washington could complicate renewal.

As of Wednesday morning, Stout said he hadn’t heard of delays at other airports, “but it’s still early.”


Weather forecasts continue despite shutdown

As rain moved across the North Bay on Wednesday, federal officials stressed that residents of Sonoma and Napa counties should still expect regular weather updates.

The U.S. Department of Commerce, which oversees the National Weather Service, said it is “prepared for a lapse in funding that would necessitate a significant reduction in operations and is currently implementing its plan.” Among the services to continue are weather, water and climate observations.

The National Weather Service’s main website now carries a shutdown notice, but adds that “websites and social media channels necessary to protect lives and property will be maintained.”

On Wednesday morning, the NWS Bay Area office reported that Sonoma and Napa counties could receive up to half an inch of rain through the day, with double that possible in higher elevations.


BLM lands: North Bay recreation areas remain open, but with limited services

BLM and Forest Service lands in Northern California are expected to remain open during the shutdown, but without ranger services, trash removal, restroom access or permit processing, according to federal contingency plans.

Those public lands include some of the region’s most scenic and diverse landscapes — such as the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument, stretching from Napa County to the Mendocino National Forest, and the California Coastal National Monument’s Point Arena-Stornetta Public Lands, which President Barack Obama added to the system 11 years ago.

Closer to home, BLM also manages the South and North Cow Mountain recreation areas in the Mayacamas Mountains east of Ukiah, popular for off-highway vehicles, hiking and camping.

A spokesperson for BLM’s Central District did not respond to questions about the shutdown’s impact on public lands in and near the North Bay.


VA clinics remain open, veterans wary of longer shutdown

Gregory Gick, a U.S. Army veteran who served in Vietnam, came to the South Santa Rosa VA outpatient clinic Wednesday morning to get his dentures fixed. He wasn’t sure he’d be seen but was let in without issue.

Medical appointments at the clinic are continuing as scheduled during the shutdown. In a contingency plan released in late September, the Department of Veterans Affairs said its medical clinics, outpatient centers and vet centers would remain open, and the agency would continue processing benefits claims and handling burial requests.

Some services, however, are suspended. Regional benefits offices, call centers and certain training and transition programs are closed during the shutdown. Public affairs offices are also closed under the agency’s contingency plan, making it more difficult for veterans and the public to get timely information.

Efforts to get clarity from VA officials weren’t successful Wednesday. At the Santa Rosa clinic, a staff member declined to answer questions and referred inquiries to the agency’s San Francisco public affairs office.

By 9:30 a.m., the waiting room at the Challenger Way clinic was filling with veterans seeking medical, dental and mental health care, or arriving for group meetings.

Dave Schober, an Air Force veteran from Lower Lake, stopped by to pick up a pair of boots. He was in and out within minutes and said the center appeared to be operating normally.

Though most services remain open, it’s unclear what a protracted shutdown could mean for the VA. Gick worried benefits could be delayed or go unpaid if the funding lapse drags on.

“I would be in trouble,” he said as he waited for his wife to pick him up. He added that the shutdown could have devastating impacts on people’s lives — from federal employees to veterans who rely on aid and services.

By state estimates, about 20,290 veterans live in Sonoma County and 5,550 in Napa County, according to 2023-24 California Department of Veterans Affairs data. Federal figures from that year show nearly 5,000 Sonoma County veterans and 1,900 in Napa County receive disability compensation.

Efforts to get clarity from VA officials weren’t successful Wednesday. A staff member at the Santa Rosa clinic declined to answer questions, referring inquiries to the agency’s San Francisco office, which did not immediately respond.


Federal courts funded through Oct. 17, officials say

Court fees and other funds will keep federal courts operating through Oct. 17, United States Courts officials announced Wednesday morning. Earlier guidance suggested operations might only continue through this Friday while officials assessed available resources.

If those funds run out before the shutdown ends, courts will operate on a limited basis, with individual offices deciding which staff and services are essential.

Cases tied to Sonoma and Napa counties are typically filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, where notable proceedings include the December sentencing of two former Rohnert Park police officers convicted of impersonating federal agents and robbing motorists.

Local attorneys told The Press Democrat they had not yet seen disruptions in court schedules. But they acknowledged the potential for serious consequences if the shutdown drags on.

“This is part of being distressed with what’s happening around the country,” attorney George Boisseau said at Sonoma County Superior Court. He noted he had received alerts that federal proceedings were continuing in Hawaii and presumed the same for California.

Attorney Chris Andrian warned that if federal cases are stalled, “it’s somebody’s constitutional rights being violated.”

Boisseau added that even if funding lapses, some attorneys may choose to keep working without pay.

“I don’t think people are going to stop working because they aren’t getting paid,” he said.


Lines form at Santa Rosa Social Security office

Residents lined up early Wednesday at the Social Security office on Range Avenue in Santa Rosa, unsure if their appointments would proceed during the shutdown. Benefit checks will still be issued, but federal officials warn offices could face staffing cuts and delays.

Monte Robinson, a Santa Rosa resident, had an appointment Wednesday morning for benefit verification — a service the Social Security Administration said could be disrupted in its contingency plan published in late September.

Robinson said the process usually takes only a minute and is something he’s done dozens of times.

“You come in, you check in, you just give them your ID and they print it up,” he said.

But this time, staff couldn’t process the request in person. Robinson said a worker told him the problem was related to the shutdown, and instead gave him a number to plug into an online portal, which would then send the verification.

“I don’t know how long the process will take for me to receive this,” he said, adding that a delay could affect his ability to pay for housing.

“It’s gonna be OK,” he added, “but I know it’s gonna affect a lot of people in a probably more severe way.”

Some in line said they weren’t even aware of the government shutdown. One of them was Deborah D., a lifelong Sonoma County resident who declined to give her full last name.

Deborah came to the office to show receipts proving she still qualifies for Social Security after receiving a trust. Her monthly check, which usually arrives on the first, had been paused until she could provide the verification.

Her appointment, however, did not appear to be disrupted by the shutdown.

“It’s just waiting for me now,” she said.

Inside, SSA workers staffed all of the available windows — about six in the front area. It was unclear if a second room was in use.

As of 2024, about 28,805 Napa County residents and 110,445 in Sonoma County received Social Security benefits, according to SSA data. The combined allocation for both counties was nearly $283 million.

That same year, 1,809 Napa County residents and 7,262 in Sonoma County received Supplemental Security Income — a needs-based program for low-income seniors or people with disabilities, funded through general tax revenues and administered by the SSA. Together, those payments totaled about $7.2 million.

The SSA was already grappling with changes imposed this spring by the Trump administration — including staff reductions and new rules that eliminated phone-based ID verification, requiring people to apply either in person or online. Those changes are not tied to the shutdown, but they exacerbate an already strained system.

Public affairs staff at the SSA have been furloughed under the agency’s contingency plan. A manager at the Santa Rosa office took a message Wednesday morning but did not return a call.


Point Reyes likely to stay open despite shutdown

Point Reyes National Seashore appears likely to remain open under the federal guidance that larger parks will stay open, though the park has not yet confirmed.


Coast Guard in Bodega Bay continues rescue work, but some staff furloughed

At Coast Guard Station Bodega Bay, active-duty members are considered “excepted” employees and will continue performing search-and-rescue operations and other lifesaving duties during the shutdown, according to the agency’s contingency plan.

Civilian staff deemed non-essential will be furloughed, which could affect administrative support and non-emergency services. Some employees paid through special fees or multi-year accounts are “exempt” and will remain on the job. Contractors are advised to check their status individually.

For residents and mariners along the Sonoma coast, that means emergency response remains intact, but there may be longer waits for inspections, permits and other non-urgent services.

This story is developing. Check back for updates.

RevContent Feed