Subscribe

Family cat dies in Petaluma garage fire

A garage fire in Petaluma Thursday that may have started near a washing machine killed a family cat and damaged the home.

The fire was reported just before 6 p.m. on East Madison Street.

Two teenagers who live in the single-story home with their mother discovered the fire, said Petaluma Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Holden.

The fire torched the garage and spread to the kitchen where it caused significant damage before it was extinguished, Holden said. There was also smoke damage throughout the house.

Petaluma firefighters rescued a pet Chihuahua from a bedroom, but found the cat dead, Holden said.

You can reach Staff Writer Nick Rahaim at 707-521-5203 or nick.rahaim@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @nrahaim.

UPDATED: Please read and follow our commenting policy:

  • This is a family newspaper, please use a kind and respectful tone.
  • No profanity, hate speech or personal attacks. No off-topic remarks.
  • No disinformation about current events.
  • We will remove any comments — or commenters — that do not follow this commenting policy.
Send a letter to the editor

Our Network

The Press Democrat
Sonoma Index-Tribune
Petaluma Argus Courier
North Bay Business Journal
Sonoma Magazine
Bite Club Eats
La Prensa Sonoma
Sonoma County Gazette