Subscribe

Firefighters rescue dog and cat from burning Santa Rosa home

The fire started in the kitchen after the woman who lived there accidentally turned on her stove, which had cardboard on top of it, an investigator said.|

Firefighters freed a dog and cat trapped inside a burning home in northeast Santa Rosa on Tuesday afternoon.

The fire was reported about 1 p.m. in the 900 block of Benton Street.

When firefighters arrived, dark smoke filled the inside of the home, the Santa Rosa Fire Department said.

A fire captain kicked open a door and a dog scurried outside. Firefighters searched the house and discovered nobody was home. One firefighter scooped up a cat, “which was handed off in good condition to a neighbor,” the department said in a news release.

A woman who lived at the house came home and picked up her pets, officials said.

Firefighters had the blaze under control in 15 minutes. It caused about $75,000 in damage, officials said.

The fire started in the kitchen, according to an investigation.

It ignited because the woman who lived there, a renter, accidentally turned on the stove and had left cardboard on top of it, which caught on fire, said Devon Gambonini, a Santa Rosa fire investigator. She said it’s likely the woman accidentally bumped the stove and it turned on.

You can reach Staff Writer Matt Pera at matthew.pera@pressdemocrat.com. On Twitter @Matt__Pera.

UPDATED: Please read and follow our commenting policy:

  • This is a family newspaper, please use a kind and respectful tone.
  • No profanity, hate speech or personal attacks. No off-topic remarks.
  • No disinformation about current events.
  • We will remove any comments — or commenters — that do not follow this commenting policy.
Send a letter to the editor

Our Network

The Press Democrat
Sonoma Index-Tribune
Petaluma Argus Courier
North Bay Business Journal
Sonoma Magazine
Bite Club Eats
La Prensa Sonoma
Sonoma County Gazette