Friday updates: Glass fire grows to 61,150 acres with 8% containment
8 PM: Glass fire consumes more than 1,000 acres Friday
The Glass fire consumed more than 1,000 acres over the course of the day Friday, growing to 61,150 acres by sundown, Cal Fire said.
Containment on the blaze also increased, up to 8% by 7 p.m. compared to 6% Friday morning, Cal Fire said.
The tally of homes destroyed on the Sonoma County side of the blaze nearly doubled by Friday afternoon, reaching 120 losses compared to the 67 reported earlier in the day.
The number of homes destroyed in Napa County grew by 20 Friday to 173 as of 7 p.m., Cal Fire said.
6:25 PM: Smoky conditions likely to persist into next week
North Bay residents can expect the wildfire smoke currently choking the sky to stick around through at least the weekend, according to the National Weather Service Office in Monterey.
While winds blowing from the northwest have started to clear some haze along the coast, meteorologist Brayden Murdock said that wind flow likely won’t be enough to flush out the air in inland areas.
“It’s not like were going to flip the switch and all of the sudden be better,” he said.
Smoke from the Glass fire is mixing with haze traveling down from the massive August and North complex fires burning in Northern California, leading to ongoing dismal air quality across the North Bay.
Air quality reached “unealthy” to “very unhealthy” levels today across the North Bay, according to AirNow.
A Spare the Air alert is currently in effect for most of the Bay Area through Tuesday, meaning unhealthy air conditions are expected to persist until next week.
“Maybe into next week we’ll start to see a shift in winds, but it’s not looking like a complete relief any time yet,” Murdock said.
4:20 PM: Local assistance center for fire survivors to open Monday
A local assistance center is scheduled to open to Sonoma County residents whose homes were damaged or destroyed in the Glass fire starting Monday, Oct. 5, at Maria Carrillo High School in Santa Rosa’s Rincon Valley neighborhood.
The joint city and county center will open its doors on Monday from 1-7 p.m. Hours will then be expanded the rest of the week, from 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday.
The assistance center will offer services from both entities, as well as the state, to help fire survivors begin their recovery process. If more than one week is necessary to fill the needs, more days will be added, according to officials.
“It’s supposed to be one-stop shop, and what staff is doing is preparing the re-entry packets, for lack of a better term, to get people all that they need,” said Santa Rosa Mayor Tom Schwedhelm. “If during the first week we realize we underestimated the number of people who need to use these resources, we will keep it up as long as people need it.”
So far confirmed at the center are the Department of Motor Vehicles and Department of Public Health, each offering access to replacement vital records. In addition, the city and county will have staff available with their permit departments, and multiple nonprofits will be in attendance to answer questions and offer additional services. A representative from the County Assessor’s Office is also expected to be on hand.
3:50 PM: Some roads remain closed as Santa Rosa evacuation orders downgraded
As authorities downgrade evacuation orders to warnings for some parts of east Santa Rosa, the following roads will remain closed, according to the Santa Rosa Police Department.
The roads include:
-Los Alamos Road, north of Scotland Drive
-Los Alamos Road, south of Arrigoni Court
-Scotland Drive at Brigadoon Way
-Mountain Hawk Drive at Brigadoon Way
-Nighthawk Drive at Mountain Hawk Drive
-Highway 12, east of Los Alamos Road
-Highway 12, west of Pythian Road
-Feather Light at San Ramon Way
-Mountain Hawk Drive at San Ramon Way
-Melita Road, east of Los Alamos Road
-Sunhawk Drive, east of Mystic Point Place
-Channel Drive, east of Violette
All other roads in the burn area remain closed.
3:40 PM: Evacuation orders downgraded to warnings for parts of east Santa Rosa
Authorities have downgraded evacuation orders to warnings for some areas in east Santa Rosa within the city limits, according to the Santa Rosa Police Department.
The orders are being downgraded to warnings outside of the burn area for the following evacuation zones: Calistoga – North, Calistoga – South / Skyhawk, Melita and Pythian.
All burned areas within these zones remain under an evacuation order.
An estimated 9,815 residents in the Santa Rosa city limits are still under mandatory evacuation orders, according to a city spokesperson. That’s down from 12,925 as of earlier Friday afternoon.