Air Force captain who fled court-martial hearing found dead in Mendocino County

The "Follow This Story" feature will notify you when any articles related to this story are posted.

When you follow a story, the next time a related article is published — it could be days, weeks or months — you'll receive an email informing you of the update.

If you no longer want to follow a story, click the "Unfollow" link on that story. There's also an "Unfollow" link in every email notification we send you.

This tool is available only to subscribers; please make sure you're logged in if you want to follow a story.

Please note: This feature is available only to subscribers; make sure you're logged in if you want to follow a story.


An Air Force officer who fled a court-martial sentencing in Nevada was found dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound in Mendocino County on Sunday, authorities said.

Capt. Kevin Larson, 34, of Las Vegas, was the subject of an arrest warrant issued Friday when he did not appear for a court-martial hearing at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas, the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office said.

A CHP officer spotted the man’s 2018 Jeep Wrangler about 4 p.m. Saturday and attempted to pull the vehicle over south of Ukiah. The driver fled north on Highway 101, with the CHP in pursuit, evading the officer by turning off onto Reeves Canyon Road about 14 miles north of Ukiah.

Air Force officials were notified and monitored the Reeves Canyon Road area overnight. At daybreak Sunday, they searched for the driver’s vehicle and found it parked in the 8000 block of Reeves Canyon Road, roughly 8 miles west of Highway 101.

Mendocino County deputies learned the serviceman had made suicidal statements to a friend. They deployed a drone to inspect the Jeep, but the drone could not capture a clear image inside the vehicle, the Sheriff’s Office said.

A multi-agency SWAT team was called in and used a rescue vehicle to approach the Jeep. The team found Larson’s body on a hillside, about 30 feet from his vehicle. Investigators said it appeared he used a high-powered rifle to commit suicide, authorities said.

An autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday.

A call to an Air Force spokeswoman was not immediately returned.

Please read our commenting policy
  • No profanity, abuse, racism or hate speech
  • No personal attacks on other commenters
  • No spam or off-topic posts
  • Comments including URLs and media may be held for moderation
Send a letter to the editor
*** The system is currently unable to accept new posts (we're working on it) ***

Our Network

Sonoma Index-Tribune
Petaluma Argus Courier
North Bay Business Journal
Sonoma Magazine
Bite Club Eats
La Prensa Sonoma
Emerald Report
Spirited Magazine