OAKLAND, Calif. — Attorneys for the family of a foster child who died after ingesting methamphetamine have sued Alameda County, saying the girl should have been removed from a Stockton home after she swallowed the drug for the first time.

The East Bay Times reports (http://bayareane.ws/2hMwikD) Attorney Darren Kessler says county workers missed obvious signs that 3-year-old Mariah was in danger. Kessler is representing the girl's 5-year-old brother and his guardian.

Kessler says their foster mother took the girl to a hospital in 2015 because the child was "acting strange" and "talking to herself."

He says that less than two weeks later, on Oct. 16, Mariah died in the arms of her brother after ingesting methamphetamine for a second time. It is not clear how she came to ingest the drug.